Share the article
The Southeast Asian country of Laos has started a process Partially reopening its borders to international tourists After more than a year and a half.
From January 1, fully vaccinated international tourists from some countries, including the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, will be able to visit Laos for tourism purposes. Among the list of entry requirements, travel must be pre-booked and restricted to movement in designated “green travel zones”.
Here’s everything travelers need to know about reopening Laos to international tourism.
Re-opening will begin with visitors on package tours by approved travel agencies
As part of the reopening, all international travelers will be allowed to enter Laos if they book a Pre-arranged packed tour With authorized travel agents allowed to work in Green Travel Zones.
These specific areas are the main destinations in Laos: The capital city of VientianeAnd Luang Prabang Prefecture in the northern region and Vang Vieng, a picturesque river town about four hours north of Vientiane famous for its caves, cultural relics, and river tube excursions.
Under the new guidance, Foreign nationals from the following countries They can currently visit Laos if they follow the applicable reopening guidelines:
United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Israel, Japan, France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei, Norway, Poland, Sweden Finland, Hungary, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark and Belgium.
The first phase of reopening Laos is set from January 1 to March 30. Phase 2 is currently planned From 1 April to 30 June 2022and will expand to some surrounding areas once vaccination rates increase across the country, according to the Visa Laos website.
Travel Entry Restrictions to Laos from 1 January
Here are the entry requirements for all international tourists to Laos starting from January 1st:
- All travelers to Laos must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. This means that the last required dose of the approved Covid vaccine must have been given to you at least 14 days before travel.
- Travelers must also appear Evidence of a negative PCR Covid test The result was taken no later than 72 hours before departure for Laos. If you are traveling from the UK, please note that NHS tests are not currently accepted for entry. Travelers from the UK will need to take a test in a private lab instead.
- A must have for tourists Travel medical insurance coverage With a minimum of 50,000 USD.
- A must for all visitors to Laos Book a tour in advance He is allowed to work in one of the designated green travel zones. The tourism agency must also hold a Lao Travel Green Zone Plan license.
- All international visitors need to Download the official LaoStaySafe app In order to register and fill out a health travel authorization form. You can also upload proof of vaccination and test results to enter Laos.
- According to the Visa Laos website, foreign nationals may need a visa to enter Laos. Travelers from the US, Canada and the UK can apply for a visa online once tourist visa applications reopen. Visitors will be granted entry once the visa is approved and all entry requirements have been followed.
Entry points to Laos – information for travelers
For the first phase of Laos’ reopening process, entry points for international tourists will be limited to the capital, Vientiane. All international visitors are allowed to enter the country by air via Wattay International Airport in Vientiane. Alternatively, you can cross into Laos by road via the First Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge in Vientiane.
Other popular entry points into Luang Prabang will remain closed for the time being.
Doors open for domestic travel for 2022
When traveling around Laos, everyone should follow standard health and safety requirements. Face masks must be worn in all public places and the social distance of one to two meters for anyone outside your travel group must be respected. Services such as restaurants, hotels, guest houses and cafes are currently allowed to operate, but under strict social distancing instructions.
Entertainment establishments such as karaoke bars, casinos, game shops and nightclubs remain closed across the country. Also note that spas, cinemas, hair salons and sports centers will be closed in areas where the disease is prevalent in the community. Schools across Laos are currently in the process of reopening.
As per the latest government directives, all service providers should be fully vaccinated with all tourists.
If you are currently in Laos and are wondering about visa extensions or the status of reopening Laos, you can check the US Embassy website or the UK government travel advisory website.
Travel insurance covering Covid-19 for 2022
Tourists face cancellations of group tours in Cancun and other hot spots in Mexico
US issues 23 new travel advice this week
↓ Join the community ↓
the Travel Off Path Community FB It has the latest news, talks and Q&A reopened daily!
Subscribe to our latest posts
Enter your email address to subscribe to the latest breaking travel news from Travel Off Path, straight to your inbox
Disclaimer: Current travel rules and restrictions It can change without notice. The decision to travel is ultimately your responsibility. Contact your consulate and/or local authorities to confirm entry of your citizenship and/or any changes to travel requirements prior to travel. Travel Off Path does not endorse travel against government warnings